Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2015
    • (edited May 7th 2015)

For determing the quantomorphism 6-group of the M5 WZW term, I need the degree-5 cohomology with real (discrete) coefficients of the geometric realization of the homotopy pullback of the canonical inclusion Ω 3()B 3U(1) conn\Omega^3(-) \to \mathbf{B}^3 U(1)_{conn} along the map XB 3U(1) connX \to \mathbf{B}^3 U(1)_{conn} which is the M2-brane WZW term.

Since geometric realization does not preserve general homotopy pullbacks, it seems hard to determine it. But there is a canonical map from it to the geometric realization of the B 2U(1)\mathbf{B}^2 U(1)-principal bundle underlying the M2-brane WZW term, and that realization is a K(,3)K(\mathbb{Z},3)-fibration over the (homotopy type) of the base space(time) XX.

So I know at least that the degree-5 real cohomology of that K(,3)K(\mathbb{Z},3)-fibration pulls back to the cohomology that I really need. Eventually I need to understand kernel and cokernel of this pullback map. But for the moment I’d just like to understand the degree-5 cohomology of K(,3)K(\mathbb{Z},3)-fibrations over XX themselves.

So in the relevant Serre spectral sequence the potential differentials that may change the result from being just H 5(X)H 2(X)H^5(X) \oplus H^2(X) are

1. H 1(X)d 4H 5(X)H^1(X)\stackrel{d_4}{\to} H^5(X);

2. H 2(X)d 4H 6(X)H^2(X) \stackrel{d_4}{\to} H^6(X);

I suppose. Is there anything useful to be said about these, in general?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

The obvious guess is that these d 4d_4 maps are given by the cup product with the 4-class of the K(,3)K(\mathbb{Z},3)-bundle. Are they? This must be a standard fact…

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Don’t know if it helps but apparently Harada and Kono study the cohomology of

K(,3)(BG)4BG K(\mathbb{Z}, 3) \to (B G)\langle 4 \rangle \to B G

for GG a simply connected compact Lie group, according to this p. 5.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks! I have chased references a bit now, but I don’t quite see what I need yet.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 7th 2015)

I suppose that generally the d n+1d_{n+1}-differential for the Serre spectral sequence of K(,n)K(\mathbb{Z},n)-fibrations is cup product with the twisting nn-class and that this follows with the argument in Atiyah-Segal 05, in between (4.1) and (4.2).

(Probably it follows with much more direct arguments, too…)