Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2015
    • (edited Jan 28th 2015)

Hovey in Proposition 2.4.2 of his book “Model categories” shows that compact topological spaces are compact objects with respect to closed T_1-inclusions.

Furthermore, as explained in the errata to the book, the indiscrete space consisting of two points is not a small object in the category of topological spaces.

Clearly, both of these statements need subtle separation properties (or absence thereof), e.g., T_1 or indiscreteness, etc.

Thus it is not unreasonable to expect different results for the case of locales.

For example, do we know what the compact objects in the category of locales are? What about small objects?

Do we know that compact locales (in the sense of finite subcovers) are compact objects with respect to monomorphisms of locales?

The category of locales is not locally presentable, which implies that small objects don’t generate all objects under small colimits.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • (edited Jan 28th 2015)

Who says the category of frames is locally presentable? It’s monadic over Set\mathbf{Set}, but I see no reason for the monad to be accessible.

• CommentRowNumber3.

@ZhenLin: I thought that frames are locally presentable because then can be specified using an algebraic theory and algebras over an algebraic theory form a locally presentable category.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorThomas Holder

In Johnstone’s Stone spaces there is a proof (p.57) that Loc is not well-powered hence Frm can’t be locally presentable (Adamek-Rosicky p. 46). Frm has an infinitary operation hence is not algebraic for a (finitary) Lawvere theory though it is equationally presentable and has a free functor SetSet\toFrm.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Right, neither Frm nor Loc are locally presentable. The definition of compact locale ought to imply that they are small wrt open inclusions of locales, but I don’t know any more than that. My guess based on nothing at all is that there are not many compact objects in Loc.

• CommentRowNumber6.

@ThomasHolder: Categories of algebras over infinitary algebraic theories with at most a set of operations are also locally presentable. I guess in this case there is a proper class of operations, which explains the failure of local presentability.

• CommentRowNumber7.

I removed the wrong claim about local presentability of frames.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorThomas Holder
    @DmitriPavlov: indeed simply blaming the non-finitariness of the theory was thoughtless of me.