Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2014
    • (edited Aug 28th 2014)

Looking at some recent statistics, on an average day the nLab gets the following number of requests per page type:

• view page: 20500 (GET /nlab/show/*)
    • edit page: 2300 (GET /nlab/edit/*)
    • create new page: 800 (GET /nlab/new/*)
    • save changes to page: 2200 (POST /nlab/save/*)
    • history of page: 15 (GET /nlab/history/*)
    • view a revision of a page: 15 (GET /nlab/revision/*)
    • search: 100 (GET/nlab/search*)
    • recently revised: 250 (GET /nlab/recently_revised)
    • list all pages: 250 (GET /nlab/list)
    • list authors: 250 (GET /nlab/authors)
    • feeds: 200 (GET /nlab/feeds)
    • export: 250 (GET /nlab/export)

It seems easy enough to do some simple optimizations, like

• disable the export feature completely (maybe link it to this page)
    • replace the search feature with Google search (so that typing in “motives” would take you to this link)
    • think about appropriate ways to optimize the pages like “recently revised” and “authors”.

Regarding the last point I want to suggest changing the behaviour of these pages so that they don’t take 10 seconds or more to load, while still giving us useful information. Therefore I want to ask everyone: do you use the recently revised page? If so, what do you use it for? As a reminder, it currently gives a list of every page ever edited in the nLab, sorted by the date of the latest revision. It would be much less resource-intensive, for example, to simply list all the edits made on the nLab in the last month (say) and split this list into several pages, each showing 100 edits (say). Would this still be useful to the people who use it?

And I would ask similar questions about the authors page.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 28th 2014)

Yes, I believe we had this kind of suggestion mentioned by several people before. People typically use “recently revised” to check current activity. It should be sufficient and would be useful if that page only showed changes going back just a little bit into the past.

That would be great if you could implement that.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

I think Zoran had a reason to retain the full version, which I can’t find now. Might it be possible to have both pages? How recent should recently revised include? A month?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh

I think Zoran had a reason to retain the full version, which I can’t find now. Might it be possible to have both pages?

I’ll wait for Zoran then before implementing this. If necessary I guess it could be possible to keep the old page as well.

How recent should recently revised include? A month?

I was thinking one month should be sufficient, but I’m open to suggestions (and this is always trivial to change later).

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

maybe one could have two pages that do what their titles suggest:

1. “recently revised” showing indeed only recent revisions

2. “all revisions” showing the entire edit history

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

I occasionally check the Authors page to update Contributors or to check on spam users. But it takes so long that I use it rarely. It would be great to speed it up, but ultimately I would want to be able to get both a complete list of attributed authors and a complete list of pages edited by each attributed author.

The internal search function is much better than Google search for some purposes; in particular, it actually does a regex search of the source. The last time we discussed this, we put a Google search field on the main page for casual users while maintaining the internal search for hardcore users. Possibly we could make the Google search more accessible (such as on every page) to encourage its use, but I would like the internal search to still be available.

We have disabled both Export and Recently Revised in the past for reasons of speed. Then we reenabled them when some problems were solved. Andrew would know more about this.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Aug 28th 2014)

Yes, sometimes I need full revision history (e.g. in order to catch the list of stubs which I started some time ago in a spree of activity on a temporarily abandoned topic), but that option could be on a less publicised link if this helps. Classification of Urs, 5, would also be helpful.

Export was already disabled before, it’s OK with me if you do it again.

But, as far as search, I find nnLab search much more useful than the google search, especially because it separates the occurences in page title and in the text and because it looks through the source and not through the output. In addition the Toby’s arguments about it.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I also usually prefer the nlab search to the google search, for the reasons already given.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2014

I agree with Mike.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh

Right, the search will stay then… I’ll try to implement Urs’s suggestion (#5) when I get a chance.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

What I really wanted to do was split the server resources so that different types of request went into different queues. In particular, I wanted to put show in one queue, edit and similar in another, and then the rest in a third. That way, they wouldn’t block each other at the server level.

I think that to do that one would need to have a family of alternative URLs, such as show.ncatlab.org, which all pointed to the same location (ie the current nlab server). Then a request to ncatlab.org would get diverted to ABC.ncatlab.org by Apache’s rewrite module. Each ABC.ncatlab.org would then be running a separate instance of passenger but the passengers would all point to the same instiki installation. This, I think, would relieve the main bottleneck which is the number of concurrent requests and the fact that a few big ones can block the others.

• CommentRowNumber12.

In all of this discussion, we should also recall that All Pages was disabled and (unlike Recently Revised) remains disabled. (But category listings with All Pages work, at least modulo the bug reported in a different thread).

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2014

The recently revised page should be much faster now, due to a caching trick I implemented. That said, it only updates every half hour now.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2014

I replaced the “Recently Revised” link at the top of every page with a link to a new page called “Latest Revisions”, which shows the last 1000 revisions made (spread across 10 pages). The recently revised page is still there at the same link. Let me know if anyone encounters any issues with the latest revisions page (though I’m heading to a conference now so will probably not respond promptly).

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2014

It's fast! Even Recently Revised was tolerably quick.

• CommentRowNumber16.

Looking at Latest Revisions at 16.36 BST (GMT + 1) 1 Sept., the most recent entry is

Sandbox ( Sandbox(rev # 514) | history ) by Adeel Khan at August 30, 2014 23:52:10

I’m not sure what time zone that’s from, but it’s obviously not the latest.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

Recently revised has disappeared from the top bar of Latest revisions.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2014

Tim's link should be Recently Revised.

This also stops counting at August 30.

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2014

That’s embarassing… but the latest revisions should be fixed now.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2014

It was fixed, but seems to have relapsed now to August 30 as latest.

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh

That’s very strange, as it’s still up to date for me.

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire

It was fixed, but seems to have relapsed now to August 30 as latest.

That’s very strange, as it’s still up to date for me.

On my machine, Latest Revisions is September 5, while Recently Revised is August 30.

(and why can’t I get a blank line between the two above quotes)

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh

Right, the recently revised page is still broken. I’m on the way back home at the moment so that should be fixed soon.

• CommentRowNumber24.

Sorry, yes it was Recently Revised. And thanks for doing this.

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2014

Recently revised is now working again.

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2014

The category-specific Recently Revised pages (such as http://ncatlab.org/nlab/recently_revised/Galois+theory) are now broken. (They show all pages, not just those in the given category.)

• CommentRowNumber27.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Why all pages for given categories often point to spurious wanted items ? For example http://www.ncatlab.org/nlab/list/combinatorics gives that http://www.ncatlab.org/nlab/new/differential+cohomology+in+a+cohesive+topos (nonexistent entry) is wanted at Urs Schreiber, smooth infinity-groupoid, nonabelian cohomology, 2-group, topological T-duality, torsor, AKSZ sigma-model, abelian sheaf cohomology, cohomology, orbit category, twisting function, induced representation, differential cohomology, bundle gerbe, local system, motivation for sheaves, cohomology and higher stacks, Eckmann-Hilton duality, higher category theory and physics, string field theory, principal bundle, vector bundle, orientifold, string structure, Eilenberg-Mac Lane spectrum, tmf, gerbe, Hochschild-Serre spectral sequence, fiber sequence, principal 2-bundle, principal infinity-bundle, group cohomology, twisted cohomology, generalized (Eilenberg-Steenrod) cohomology, generalized cohomology, Sweedler coring, smooth space, algebraic K-theory, bialgebra cocycle, chain homology and cohomology, K-theory, Karoubi K-theory, supergravity C-field, cup product, concordance, twisted bundle, bundle gerbe module, twisted K-theory, topological K-theory, representation ring, Bredon cohomology, fiber bundle,

….etc etc

and, by my inspection, it does not seem to be true.

• CommentRowNumber28.

Zoran, this bug dates from Jacque's original introduction of categories. It occurs whenever a page in the category links to a page not in the category, whether or not that page exists.

• CommentRowNumber29.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014

whenever a page in the category links to a page not in the category

But those pages do NOT link to the quoted page, in category or not, nor that page exists. I suspect that they linked to it in the history, but the data are somehow retained.

• CommentRowNumber30.
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2014

Ah, I see. Yes, that is different.

• CommentRowNumber31.
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2014
    • (edited Oct 8th 2014)

Both All Pages and Recently Revised are broken with respect to categories. It would be very nice if at least one of these could be made to work.

Examples:

(And some day I'd like to figure out where we're getting our Markdown updates from too, so we could fix that; but that's a separate issue.)

• CommentRowNumber32.
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2014

OK, I figured out what's up with All Pages there. If you write category: empty, then it shows up; if you write category:empty (no space), then it links the list but does not itself appear. I guess that that's a feature, albeit an obscure one!

But Recently Revised is broken for categories. This should be allowed to work; indeed, it's much less taxing if it works properly!

• CommentRowNumber33.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2014

That is certainly an issue which should be corrected. I wasn’t really aware of the categories feature when I started hacking around with the page. It’s on my to-do list.