Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014

We discussed this in another thread a while back, but I was never quite satisfied, although I let it drop. Now I’m wondering about it again.

The usual definition of a differentiable function f: nf:\mathbb{R}^n \to \mathbb{R} of nn variables is that there is a linear map df x\mathrm{d}f_{\mathbf{x}} such that

lim h0f(x+h)f(x)df x(h)h=0. \lim_{\mathbf{h}\to 0} \frac{f(\mathbf{x}+\mathbf{h}) - f(\mathbf{x}) - \mathrm{d}f_{\mathbf{x}}(\mathbf{h})}{\Vert\mathbf{h}\Vert} = 0.

We know that this implies the existence of all directional derivatives, i.e. for any vector v0\mathbf{v}\neq 0 we have a number D vf xD_{\mathbf{v}}f_{\mathbf{x}}, namely df x(v)\mathrm{d}f_{\mathbf{x}}(\mathbf{v}), such that

lim h0f(x+hv)f(x)D vf xhh=0. \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f(\mathbf{x}+h\mathbf{v}) - f(\mathbf{x}) - D_{\mathbf{v}}f_{\mathbf{x}}\cdot h}{h} = 0.

And the converse doesn’t hold, though it does if the partial derivatives are continuous. However, suppose we assume that all the directional derivatives exist at a given point, and moreover depend linearly on v\mathbf{v}. I.e. there is a linear map df x\mathrm{d}f_{\mathbf{x}} such that for any vector v0\mathbf{v}\neq 0 we have

lim h0f(x+hv)f(x)df x(v)hh=0. \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f(\mathbf{x}+h\mathbf{v}) - f(\mathbf{x}) - \mathrm{d}f_{\mathbf{x}}(\mathbf{v})\cdot h}{h} = 0.

Does it follow that ff is differentiable? The difference between this and the first equation is that the first requires for each ε>0\epsilon\gt 0 a neighborhood of 0 n\mathbf{0}\in\mathbb{R}^n in which the quantity is <ε\lt\epsilon, whereas the second would allow a different 1-dimensional neighborhood in each direction.

• CommentRowNumber2.

Actually, my calculus book has a third definition: it says that a 2-variable function f: 2f:\mathbb{R}^2\to\mathbb{R} is differentiable at (x,y)(x,y) if there are functions E 1(h,k)E_1(h,k) and E 2(h,k)E_2(h,k) and a linear map df (x,y)\mathrm{d}f_{(x,y)} (actually, it assumes that df (x,y)\mathrm{d}f_{(x,y)} is given by the partial derivatives) such that

f(x+h,y+k)=f(x,y)+df (x,y)(h,k)+E 1(h,k)h+E 2(h,k)k f(x+h,y+k) = f(x,y) + \mathrm{d}f_{(x,y)}(h,k) + E_1(h,k)\cdot h + E_2(h,k)\cdot k

and where lim (h,k)(0,0)E 1(h,k)=lim (h,k)(0,0)E 2(h,k)=0\lim_{(h,k)\to (0,0)} E_1(h,k) = \lim_{(h,k)\to (0,0)} E_2(h,k) = 0. I see how this implies the usual definition, but I don’t see how it’s equivalent to it.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorspitters

Quick answer, could it be connected to the divided differences? We connected some references in this paper.

• CommentRowNumber4.

I think the answer to #1 is no if the function is allowed to be discontinuous in a neighborhood of the point. For instance, consider

f(x,y)={y 3x x0 0 x=0 f(x,y) = \begin{cases} \frac{y^3}{x} &\quad x\neq 0\\ 0 &\quad x=0 \end{cases}

at (0,0)(0,0). Along y=mxy=m x we have f(x,y)=m 3x 2=my 2f(x,y) = m^3 x^2 = m y^2, whose derivative at 0 is 0; thus all directional derivatives at (0,0)(0,0) are zero (hence in particular are given by a linear map). But since ff\to \infty along every line y=const0y=const \neq 0, every neighborhood of (0,0)(0,0) contains points where ff is arbitrarily large.

• CommentRowNumber5.

@spitters, what is a divided difference? There’s only one appearance that I can find in the paper, which doesn’t define the term.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorspitters

wikipedia. Sorry, I’ll try to write more tomorrow.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2014

I glanced at wikipedia, but I couldn’t figure out what it might have to do with the question.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2014

The difference between this and the first equation is that the first requires for each ε>0\epsilon\gt 0 a neighborhood of 0 n\mathbf{0}\in\mathbb{R}^n in which the quantity is <ε\lt\epsilon, whereas the second would allow a different 1-dimensional neighborhood in each direction.

So we need a sort of uniform differentiability, but uniform in the direction rather than in the point (as is actually meant by the term ‘uniformly differentiable’).

• CommentRowNumber9.

That’s what I was trying to say by “simultaneously in all directions” here. Granted, the discussion there allowed us to consider arbitrary curves rather than just lines through the origin, but your argument for it a couple comments down seemed to use only tangent vectors, so now I don’t believe it. Am I confused?

• CommentRowNumber10.

There is an answer to #2 here.

• CommentRowNumber11.

your argument for it a couple comments down seemed to use only tangent vectors

You mean the argument in #63 there, currently the penultimate comment?

I agree with you now; you have a perfect example of something which has a linear differential but is still not differentiable.

I am actually thinking this term of bring up Taylor series fairly early and saying that a function is nn times differentiable if it has a Taylor polynomial of degree up to nn with the remainder R nR_n satisfying R n(h)/h n0R_n(\mathbf{h})/{\|\mathbf{h}\|^n} \to 0 as h0\mathbf{h} \to 0. (Officially we don’t cover Taylor series in higher dimensions, but we do cover Taylor polynomials of degree up to 11, only not under that name, and I’ve always made it a point to mention that the results used there are a special case of a higher-dimensional Taylor’s Theorem.) I have until late next week to decide!

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2014

I would like to record this observation somewhere on the nLab. However, I’m at a bit of a loss for where to put it. Any ideas?

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2014
    • CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2014

Looking at it again, I think maybe I would rather put it at differentiation, which is currently lacking a “lowbrow” perspective.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2014

Okay, I changed my mind again and put it at differentiable map as you suggested. I also changed the redirect for derivative to point there rather than differentiation.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2014

Looks good.