Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2013

Somehow I’m reminded of that Temptations song ’Ball of confusion’. Anyway, a thread to jot down ideas on how the different varieties of cohesion relate to each other. Anyone welcome to join in.

There’s a question of how to organise cohesion. Do we see it as a relative notion and then gather together pairs of \infty-toposes, one cohesive over the other, or do we see enough from cohesion over Grpd\infty Grpd?

We have

SmoothGrpdEuclideanTopGrpdGrpd. Smooth \infty Grpd \to Euclidean Top \infty Grpd \to \infty Grpd.

Then a cluster of infinitesimal extensions: super, synthetic, synthetic super imposed on them, except super does no work on Euclidean Top. Is there a synthetic Euclidean Top?

The synthetic extension of Grpd\infty Grpd is InfGrpdInf \infty Grpd. Is there a SuperInfGrpdSuper Inf \infty Grpd?

On everything we can act by () I(-)^I, and its approximations, J n()J^n(-). J 1=TJ^1 = T on Grpd\infty Grpd is infinitesimal. Grpd I\infty Grpd^I is not, so at some point in the interpolation this property must fail.

Then there’s global cohesion.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2013

In section 4.6.1 of dcct, Urs represents some of the above in terms of { ps|q} p,s,q\{\mathbb{R}^{p \oplus s| q}\}_{p, s, q}. There we see six versions of this with various combinations of pp, qq, and ss sent to zero. But there are eight combinations possible for three quantities. There could be { 0s|q} s,q\{\mathbb{R}^{0 \oplus s| q}\}_{s, q} and { 0s} s\{\mathbb{R}^{0 \oplus s}\}_{s}. These would give rise to synthetic versions of the right hand pair: InfGrpdInf \infty Grpd and SuperInfGrpdSuper Inf \infty Grpd.

This relates to that discussion on Manin’s three dimensions

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2013

Yes! That could be and eventially should be made explicit somewhere.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2013

Is there a theory about these dimensions? I mean, given \mathbb{R}, how do I get to { ps|q} p,s,q\{\mathbb{R}^{p \oplus s| q}\}_{p, s, q}?

Could I replace \mathbb{R}, and find similar extensions?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

That the { p} p\{\mathbb{R}^p\}_p themselves support a cohesive geometry rests ultimately on the fact that the Cartesian spaces are locally and globally contractible (and “supported on points”, but that’s so traditional a condition one hardly notices it). From this, the two extensions by even and by odd-graded infinitesimals is pretty automatic and just works.

So as in earlier discussion, the real question is what other kinds of useful geometric spaces we have that are locally contractible.

I still have the feeling that polydiscs should work, supporting cohesive analytic geometry. I even suspect that this is pretty obviously so. But sadly I still haven’t gotten around to doing anything substantial along these lines. Somebody should.

• CommentRowNumber6.

OK, so you’d probably get odd and even-infinitesimal extensions whichever contractible spaces were found.

I’ve probably asked before, but does using rather than make a difference?