Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013
    • (edited Feb 15th 2013)

We had noticed that recently with some entry, and now I notice it again with the entry Newton’s constant (try gravitational constant if the former link does not work):

putting an apostrophe into an entry title leads, since a while ago, to weird behaviour. I am not sure how to nail it down. First of all the apostrophe does not appear in the actual title, but its unicode-code does. Nevertheless, at first, writing the title with apostrophy in text leads to a working link. But then later that link breaks, too, it seems, for reasons which I couldn’t identify yet. Trying to rename the entry seems to make everything worse.

I should probably try to give a more systematic bug report. I’ll see if I find the time to do more experimenting…

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

I've never noticed problems with this, but I see that the redirect at gravitational constant is for Newton's constant instead of for Newton's constant. Fixing that fixes the link in your post here.

The nForum does some fancier processing that can break links a bit; you can see from the source of this comment how I had to get around them here. I usually add extra redirects for apostrophes to catch some of the possibilities, but it never occurred to me to add anything like '!

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Feb 15th 2013)

We had the same king od issue recently with Segal’s category, discussed here.

That the redirect contains that unicode-code is part of the problem. This is a remnant of the original page title, which was “Newton’s constant”, coming out wrong. I didn’t add that funny redirect. I only created “Newton’s constant” and then renamed it to “gravitational constant” when the links to it didn’t work.

Best, to see what’s going on, is if you create yourself an entry with an apostrophy in the name and see what happens. Try Sand’s Box or something.

• CommentRowNumber4.

Wow!

I'm sure that these things used to work. But this time, I created Sand's Box, then when I edited it, suddenly it had become Sand's Box instead. If I rename it back to the apostrophe, then a redirect to the fancy name (which worked as a straight link) doesn't work; and then if I edit it again, then it goes back to the fancy name.

This is definitely a bug!

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yup, that’s it!

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013

Check Dowker’s theorem. That seemed to be working, but I did not try to edit it.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

The bug didn’t exist a while back, and so I guess all the pages with apostrophes that were created before this bug here was introduced are unaffected.

• CommentRowNumber8.

That is my guess as well. That confirms that it is a bug due to updates of the system, I suppose.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2013

I just edited Dowker's theorem, and that broke it; then I explicitly changed its name, and that fixed it.

Work-around: Whenever you edit a page with an apostrophe in the title, click to change its name. You'll find that it already has the broken name, which you will then change back to the correct one.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2013

Did you try that on the other instances of apostrophes?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013

If you mean the work-around, I've tried it on Segal's category and on Dowker's theorem. There are dozens of pages with ' in the title1 if you want to try more. If you mean if I fixed all of the pages with ' in the title, then I did.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

I’ve raised this with Jacques.

• CommentRowNumber13.

I've now had occasion to edit child's drawing (only minor edits) using the work-around in #9, and that went fine.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2013
    • (edited Mar 2nd 2013)

I had added an Idea-sentence to the old entry Simpson’s conjecture. The apostrophe-bug then screwed up the page title. So I renamed the page again by hand. Now the cache-bug prevents the edit to be shown.

I logged into the server and tried to clear the cache. But I suppose to do so I have to enter the apostrophes by some code again. I suppose I could figure out how to do that, but I don’t have further time for this now.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2013

Start to clear the cache, and when you get up to the point that you're typing in the name of the page, type only up to Simpson. Now type *. Then hit return. This may clear more caches than necessary, but there's nothing wrong with that.

• CommentRowNumber16.

Another way to clear the cache in this particular situation (where there is a page at the name whose cache must be cleared) is to edit the page again (making sure to do the workaround at the same time: rename the page back to the correct name while you edit).

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, I tried the wildcard, but with no effect. Probably I would have had to escape it once more to flow through the script or something.

I am sure with a bit more fiddling I could do it. Maybe one day I find the time.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2013

Has this bug been fixed? I'm no longer getting it on, for example, Segal’s category (although I was getting it last night!).

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

I reported it to Jacques a little while ago but he asked for more details which I didn’t see until today so I provided those details (and in so doing verified that it still exists). But since I originally reported it then there’s been an update to instiki which I’ve only just applied so there’s a possibility that it was fixed in the meantime.

I’ve just gone through the steps I used to verify the bug on HomePage (doriath) and the bug no longer appears. It would seem that Jacques has fixed it.

• CommentRowNumber20.

(^_^)

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Has the cache bug ever been reported? Is this a more subtle issue to solve?