Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2012
    • (edited May 25th 2012)

New entry structure but the nnLab is down so I save here the final version of editing, which is probably lost in nnLab:

The concept of a structure is formulated as the basic object of mathematics in the work of Bourbaki.

In model theory, a structure of a language LL is the same as model of LL with empty set of extra axioms. Given a first-order language LL, which consists of symbols (variable symbols, constant symbols, function symbols and relation symbols including ε\epsilon) and quantifiers; a structure for LL, or LL-structure is a set MM with an interpretation for symbols:

• if RLR\in L is an nn-ary relation symbol, then its interpretation R MM nR^M\subset M^n

• if fLf\in L is an nn-ary function symbol, then f M:M nMf^M:M^n\to M is a function

• if cLc\in L is a constant symbol, then c MMc^M\in M

Interpretation for an LL-structure inductively defines an interpretation for well-formed formulas in LL. We say that a sentence ϕL\phi\in L is true in MM if ϕ M\phi^M is true. Given a theory (L,T)(L,T), which is a language LL together with a given set TT of sentences in LL, the interpretation in a structure MM makes those sentences true or false; if all the sentences in TT are true in MM we say that MM is a model of (L,T)(L,T).

Some special cases include algebraic structures, which is usually defined as a structure for a first order language with equality and ε\epsilon-relation both with the standard interpretation, no other relation symbols and whose function symbols are interpreted as operations of various arity. This is a bit more general than an algebraic theory as in the latter, one needs to have free algebras so for example fields do not form an algebraic theory but are the algebraic structures for the theory of fields.

In category theory we may talk about functor forgetting structure (formalizing an intuitive, related and in a way more general sense), see

!redirects structures

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

The nnLab is back and I did some more editing.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

This is good to have, but maybe we could name the page more specifically? Maybe something like structure in model theory? I am sad to see that you removed the redirect of “structure” to stuff, structure, property, because I think that is the most common use of “structure” on the nLab.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited May 25th 2012)

But this entry structure has a bottom section pointing to stuff, structure, property. I will now (with expansion on model side) need to refer many times to structure (some already did) and will refer to one of the usual senses in mathematics (either Bourbaki version or “algebraic structure” or general model theoretical). The entry is something like expanded disambiguation entry, so nobody will be lost by being sent there.

My understanding is, besides, that stuff, structure, property does not define structure itself, but rather relative terms like forgetting structure and alike; and the entry name, I think, would be better to adhere to the named/defined concepts. Isn’t it more logical that structure refers to the entry which has a definition of a structure and redirect forgetting structure referring to the entry stuff, structure, property containing the definition of forgetting structure rather than of structure ?

the most common use of “structure”

My feeling is that the development of the nnLab is gradually to include wider perspective in math, than only category theory and as it does it is likely that the uses will go statistically a bit more mainstream.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited May 25th 2012)

Entry structured sethad the first sentence of idea section as follows:

A structured set is, of course, a set equipped with extra structure.

It is even written extra structure, what is more specific, but it was referred by structure. And extra structure is a redirect which already existed in stuff, structure, property and is more specific. So I changed just the bracketing to unambiguous:

A structured set is, of course, a set equipped with extra structure.

So, whatever we decide about the final titles of two entries, this will always point to the correct one.

On the other hand, lax morphism has “algebraic structure” on a category, where it is meant (higher) algebraic structure in monadic sense. So I added new entry algebraic structure.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2012

I feel that the categorical point of view is that “structure” is not a meaningful thing in itself, that it is always something you add to some other thing you started with. The model-theoretic kind of “structure” is just the particular case of putting structure on a set (or a family of sets).

I’m not against having structure be a disambiguation page, but I think in that case it should just disambiguate, and the model-theoretic point of view should be on a separate page.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

OK, I agree it could be also yet additional entry, I will reform that carefully in near future (now first adding more material to related entries).

On the other hand the point of view,

The model-theoretic kind of “structure” is just the particular case of putting structure on a set (or a family of sets).

requires careful treatment which category we have in mind. Model theorist like the category of models and elementary maps which disagrees with the category of models in the sense of model or which, in the case of an algebraic theory, for example, disagree with the category of algebras and homomorphisms. Cf. the discussion here: MathOverflow, the Hamkins’ and Clarks’ answers together.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Anybody has access to this ?:

• Steve Awodey, Structure in mathematics and logic: a categorical perspective, Philosophia Mathematica (3), vol. 4 (1996), pp. 209–237, doi

Abstract:

A precise notion of ‘mathematical structure’ other than that given by model theory may prove fruitful in the philosophy of mathematics. It is shown how the language and methods of category theory provide such a notion, having developed out of a structural approach in modern mathematical practice. As an example, it is then shown how the categorical notion of a topos provides a characterization of ‘logical structure’, and an alternative to the Pregean approach to logic which is continuous with the modern structural approach in mathematics.

Looks like yet another point of view. Also note that Bourbaki’s notion of “structure” is more like what we call “model”, while I think (should double check) he allows the infinitary relations unlike model theorists.

• CommentRowNumber9.

Yes, I’ll send it to you.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • (edited May 26th 2012)

Umm, “structure” is a “technical” word used in almost any sort of (seemingly or quasi) scientific analysis. People who analyzed things in terms of Earth, Air, Fire, and Water had a structure of oppositions and adjacency that they used. Music, kinship, etc. can be analyzed with structures.

In maths various subfields use the word “structure”, (wikipedia), in quite specific senses, most of which are not compatible with each other.

I feel that any use of “structure” in the nLab should be linkable to a page that explains in which particular math sense the word is to be interpreted.

On a more meta level I see 3 different usages of “structure” in maths:

1. “Pure structure” which seems to be type theory.
    2. “Implicit structure” where say a category defined by objects and arrows automatically has Homs and a endofunctor category.
    3. “Added structure” where say one takes a set SS (regarded as a category) and “enhances” it with a function +:S×SS+: S\times S \to S to maybe eventually wind up with a semi-group.

Much of the math specific definitions of “structure”; seem to fall within the “added” rather than “implicit” notions, though if one starts with say a monoid structure there are several way to see its implicit structure in terms of simpler things, some that may involve structures that have been enhanced.

Anyway, any use of “structure” should be linkable to a page that explains the intended restricted meaning in a particular subfield, and that page should note (maybe in its title) whether it is talking about pure, implicit, or additional structure.

Thus I advocate for a page called “structure” to mainly serve as a disambiguation page for the various notions of structure. However no other pages should link to it unless maybe as a stop-gap for a particular definition that doesn’t yet exist.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012
    • (edited May 28th 2012)

OK, I have done some major restructuring, following the advice of the people in this discussion. Now we have structure (disambiguation entry), structure in model theory, algebraic structure, stuff, structure, property, structuralism (tagged under category: philosophy); while awaited and cited structure after Bourbaki still waits for creation. Or should it be “structure in Bourbaki”; well maybe not as it could suggest the structure in the work of Bourbaki, how his works are structured. After is unambiguous.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Bourbaki structure?

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited May 28th 2012)

It came to my mind, but it is strange as Bourbaki would never call it that way and the books about it say things like “Bourbaki’s notion of structure”. I don’t know.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

It is unambiguous though, and there are lots of concepts that get named for a person (or in this case a ’person’) and they never called it that. (although cf Coxeter’s ’My group’). Why not call it ’Bourbaki’s notion of structure’?

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited May 28th 2012)

In principle both are OK, the long, shy and somewhat received version, as your shorter one. If we decide for the shorter one we play naming (we play Bourbaki).

To add to historical remarks, Borel called Borel subgroup “maximal connected solvable subgroup” (and understood also closed), including in his book Linear algebraic groups, but yield to “Borel subgroup” in the second edition. When I was introduced to Borel in 2002 the person who introduced me said this is Zoran Škoda who wrote his thesis on quantum Borel subgroups (well it was about an approach to quantum G/BG/B, but OK), and Borel asked me, why do you need it, and I said “for representation theory” (well I meant coherent states for quantum groups and alike aspects), and he asked with a smile “Borel-Weil?”, I said “Yes!” It was funny.