Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009
    Flattered though I was at being promoted to an n-category cafe author, I had to change 'Roberts' to 'Corfield' at Online resources in the description of our favourite stomping ground. Someone's fingers got the better of them, I didn't look who ^_^

-David Roberts
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2010

I added into Online Resources (btw, people, let us please include the link to the page commented in Latest Changes in any discussion thread which mentions it, if possible, in view of possible future automatic searchability or automatic backlinks from nLab) the link to Category List archive under Forums. It is on a blog site, so it may be classfied as blog, but I kept it as forum. Others may have intelletcual reason to change my classification.

About David, 1: why they don't promote you there ? They should, in view of your dedication to category theory !

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

why they don’t promote you there

If David wants to join he should email us. Same for everyone else. In the end only Jacques Distler can add (or remove) authors from the nCategoryCafe, though.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

@ Zoran

Definitely the categories list is a forum that should be listed. I put in a link to the homepage for the list itself, along with your link to the Gmane archives.

I don’t suppose anybody knows any other archive for the list, hopefully one that’s threaded?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2010

Thankyou, Zoran. Your vote of confidence is heartening, as sometimes I don’t feel like I’m much of a category theorist! And thanks, Urs for #3. I may just do that at some point.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2010

By the way, I am (probably) the original guilty party that mixed up the Davids. It was nothing more than a careless mistake on my part. For what it is worth, I also think David Roberts would make a good addition to the list of authors :)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2010

@ Eric:

So it appears. But the edit was still an improvement; before none of the links had descriptions, and now they all do!

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2010

As announced in http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/Mathforge/nForum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1926, I have added top page math resources linked from contents. Math resources points to MO question on math resources, to a top page of links at AMS and at the 3 pages: math blogs (former Online Resources which redirects now there as quoted in Baez’s Notices survey! lab elfs could you check for web-cash bug if it happened in renaming), math institutions and math archives. This network is now a nice directory for everyday’s work.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2010

lab elfs could you check for web-cash bug if it happened in renaming

You can check for yourself just by following your link above to Online Resources; you only have to ask a lab elf for help if that link doesn’t take you to the new page. It seems to be fine (possibly because a lab elf already fixed it, possibly because there was never a problem).

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010

Well, in the moment of renaming the old and new versions are anyway the same. The differences come up later. So you are saying I should test by artificially additionally changing the new page and then reverting it back if it is OK ? Well, OK. Thanks.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010

Test by clicking the link and seeing what URI you really end up on. So click the link to http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Online%20Resources and discover that you end up on http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/math+blogs really. So the redirect works; the cache bug is not present.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010
    • (edited Nov 3rd 2010)

OK, that is much simpler, I was stupid! I thought there are two possibly inconsistent copies, but it did not occur to me to look at the generated title, but only displayed content (which was incosistent in past cases of cache bug, the essential features which I remember).

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011

A new blog Holomorphusion (commutative algebra and algebraic geometry) reported at math blogs.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011

A new blog Holomorphusion

Looks to me like the author(s) of this should be typing this into wiki-entries, not blog entries. This is encyclopedic/textbook material.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2011

I removed the links to Academic Blog Portal at math blogs as that site and list do not function any more for some reason.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012

MahOnline link does not seem to work any more. It is the only item in the strange category “collections” in math blogs. Even if functional it was too small so far to warrant for the introduction of a category in the list. So I suggest removing the category.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2012

I added a note that the site is currently down. I wouldn’t want to remove a dead link until we give it a chance to come back to life, since that sometimes happens. But we should mark them, with a date.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2012

Still why having a separate category ? I’d erase the category and put the link under one of the other categories.

• CommentRowNumber19.

Which category? It’s different from everything else; it’s supposed to be something like our page math blogs itself.

• CommentRowNumber20.

It should be on math resources instead of math blogs; that’s the problem. I’ve moved it.

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

In the entry math blogs, mathonline bogus link makes a paragraph dedicated to the category collectioins which has no single other functional item. So I-d like to move the bogus link into some of the larger categories.

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2012

It’s not a bogus link; it’s a dead link. It certainly used to work, people praised it when it worked, and I hope that it works again. It makes no sense to move it to an inappropriate category, dead or alive.

However, there is an appropriate category for it, which we didn’t see at first because it’s on a different page, and I have already moved it there.

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Jul 16th 2012)

I disagree that math resources is the appropriate page for this. I created it with lots of thought as just the TOP LEVEL DIRECTORY for the pages with lists of resources which are in detail listed in the nnLab. It is created like the redirect page for the four major subcategories we have (and which I created as such, where math blog is the descendant of former Online Resources)

Hence it is well thought that all the micro-items from other sites will be in one of the above pages and the top page would not be changed until in exceptional cases. I have put however one external link to official and huge directories of immense amount and diverse/universal context of standard information – math on the web resources formerly of AMS and exceptionally only a link to MathOverflow question which also is of universal nature and covers tens of categories of content, and is also maintained by a large community. If something is just a specialized site with limited contributions than it should go to one of the other pages which are for the individual items, not into the top directory. If we start put the leaves of the tree to the base (the top level page in the big scheme) than we loose the systematics.

Urs has added to math resources also parellel “physics resources” and philosophy what is also orthogonal to the original scheme in which math resources meant all three categories. He also listed the page only under mathematics toc. It is hard not to repeat theoretical physics institutes under mathematics and so on, so separation is not beneficial I think, so far. It just complicates maintaining the lists, and I do not see somebody enthusiastic about doing it. For example, nobody created a page which will be dedicated only for mathematics links. For example nobody created a special page for LaTeX resources and for theoretical computer science resources which are also under the scope for math blogs for example. The fact that the mantra at the time of creation of the nnLab is to dedicate to triple math, physics, philosophy is not to be taken so literally. There are other areas, and not all in this 3 areas is interesting to us. So it is not right to have the general resource page narrowed to mathematics. “math” is just a mnemo for the central content (we could put nncontent but this would be more misleading) but includes everything.

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • (edited Jul 16th 2012)

MathOnline is (or was, and hopefully will be again) a large list like the one produced by the MathOverflow question. Maybe it fits better in math resources by individuals? It was maintained by an individual at an individual’s domain, although written (at least partially, I’m not sure how much) collaboratively.

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

math resources by individuals is not about individual-maintained blogs etc. but about the repositories of material about the math of a single author. For example, Shellah’s archive may be collectively maintained, but it is about papers of a single person. I think we should prefer there only important authors and sizeable collections for the nnLab I think, otherwise it will water down into million mathematician’s webpages without use and completeness. On the other hand, he blogs and wikis are relatively rare so I think we should list them all under math blogs, even those with very low activity (particularly because the math is fragmented into areas so if one looks at one area one finds only a handful blogs).

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Hi,

I am very busy with something else and can’t follow this here in detail. I just spotted my name coming up:

Urs has added

If I broke some pattern that you intended, can you fix it? I won’t mind. But maybe for it not to happen again, maybe you can add a sentence that makes the intended pattern clearer (in case you haven’t already).

• CommentRowNumber27.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Nothing is here urgent. Let it be the way it is. Some time in future we can discuss architecture of this set of entries in person.

• CommentRowNumber28.

math resources by individuals is not about individual-maintained blogs etc. but about the repositories of material about the math of a single author.

I see what you mean. Yeah, it doesn’t fit there.

• CommentRowNumber29.
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2012
    • (edited Oct 24th 2012)

Added a link to The Assayer which is a catalogue listing a number of mathematics books available online for free, as well as in other fields.

• CommentRowNumber30.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2014

I added the link to amazing video archive

Archive for Mathematical Sciences & Philosophy

to math resources (and to our page list of mathematical software. I moved the link to Wolphramalpha from math archives to list of mathematical software.

• CommentRowNumber31.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2014
    • (edited Aug 16th 2014)

New wiki link at math blogs aka Online Resources main page:

• groupprops.subwiki.org, The Group Properties Wiki, by Vipul Naik, a graduate student at University of Chicago

It is the main subcollection from a bit larger wiki http://subwiki.org which has also non-science things like markets section but also a bit of topology.

• CommentRowNumber32.
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2014

I should add Scott Morrison’s Mathematics Literature Project, when I get time (apologies, but none now)

• CommentRowNumber33.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2014

Added to math blogs,

• CommentRowNumber34.
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2014

Added the MLP, as I promised in #32. (note if Googling: you will not find this by searching for ’MLP’ :-)

• CommentRowNumber35.

Well, a lot of people do think that mathematics “is magic”.

• CommentRowNumber36.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

I read somewhere a reference, from towards the end of the Middle Ages, in which the word mathematician was replced by magician. It was about the time that the Abacus was going out. (I cannot remember the details!)

• CommentRowNumber37.

It's from the beginning of the Middle Ages rather than the end, but there's St Augustine's

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

which is really referring to astrologers.

• CommentRowNumber38.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2014
    • (edited Oct 4th 2014)

Perhaps we should put that quote high up in the n-Lab pages as a warning. ;-)

• CommentRowNumber39.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014

in which the word mathematician was replced by magician

mathemagicians…